Wednesday, May 22, 2013

To the adult beginner thing

My previous post had been written before a first lesson with an adult beginner (who finally decided to have lessons alone, supposing he was not good/fast enough to couple up with someone who might be more proficient and a better learner (?).

What I had expected turned out to be true. The phase when I try to find out of the learners aims, language learning history, somewhat of learning styles or attitudes and the length of time they can devote to learning English a day was 45 minutes!

Why?
Do you know why? It was all self-criticism, he told me repeatedly how slow he was, how old his brain was at his age (born in the same year as me, dammit!), how much worse men are at learning languages and what an anti-talent he was. Should I re-think my ambiguity tolerance mania and pushing learners out of their comfort zone project?

Good start:/

 Ban schools! Or someone please tell all the teachers that making sweeping judgements about their students abilities may turn into to self-fulfilling prophecies, hence this is NOT a valid tool!! Grrrr!!!

No comments: